Wednesday, November 12, 2003

As I do most days, I usually grab a bunch of CD's to take along for the commute to work and listen to at work while I attack the endless piles of paperwork on my desk [it is great wonder that I haven't gone mad! :) ]. For unbeknownst reasons, I chose The 6ths "Wasps Nests" and my Talulah Gosh CD, two CD's I have not listened to in a while. I was never an indiepop scenester but I would say that the indiepop[as well as indie rock] scene had a great influence on my music tastes over the last 10 years. Although I have been a music fan since I was a kid, the indiepop/indierock scene was the first genre that, dare-I-say, I was passionate about. The mid nineties were musically such an exciting time for me because I discovered bands like Heavenly, Honeybunch, Jale, Tsunami, Superchunk, Eric's Trip, Plumtree, Sloan and so on and so on. I was a member of several e-mail lists including the "indiepop" list and "SloanNet"[back when SloanNet was an umbrella group to discuss Canadian east-coast alternative indie groups in general]. I loved to purchase CD's, vinyl singles, zines, or what-have-you, through mailorder. .... And then at one point, I got bored of the scene. The indiepop/indierock scene seemed stagnant. The end of the 90's approached and I was approaching 30 years old and my music tastes changed. I was getting older and I needed to listen to more 'sophisticated music': electronica[Goldfrapp, Massive Attack], soundtracks, orch-pop [Heavy Blinkers, Flaming Lips], etc...I also went through a nostalgic phase when I felt I had to purchase the vinyl records of all the 70's and 80's punk/new-wave/post-punk classics that I never got to buy : such artists as Elvis Costello, Depeche Mode, OMD, The Cure, The Fall, Joy Division [luckily I have a flea market near me where I find most of my records at $2 a pop!]....Which leads me back to the present. My music collection, including vinyl, tapes and CD's spans numerous genres including indiepop, indierock, electronica, hip hop, alternative[whatever that means], etc... The indie scene made me realize that there alot of lesser known talents waiting to be discovered and enjoyed. Discovering a a good indie band felt like belonging to an exclusive club. I am by no means an indie snob(I'm always hoping that Sloan will hit the big time!) and part of the enjoyment was sharing my discoveries with other people, whether that be with friends or people on the Internet. .....So where was I going with this? Well I revisited my indiepop/indierock past when I listened to my 6ths and Talulah Gosh CD's today. It was like visiting an old friend and whom I had fond memories of; scary thought that I'm already feeling nostalgic for the mid-90's; what's next? Grieving the end of Seinfeld?! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment