Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The Witching Hour

LadytronA couple of Toronto shows a little off the indie-rock-venue-beaten-path, info via Pollstar: Ladytron(whose new album "The Witching Hour" was released in Canada today) will be at Fluid on November 12th, while teenage female Brit-grime-rap sensation, Lady Sovereign will be at Revival on December 3rd. I'm not sure if the Ladytron show is a concert or a DJ gig. It could possibly be a DJ gig. I've never been to Fluid, but I believe my sister use to work there. It's located in the dance club district in downtown Toronto on Richmond St. where all the 'beautiful' people hang out. Man, the last time I went to a club in that part of town was during university, over 10 years ago. It was definitely not of my own accord. More like a rite of passage when your university friends want to go out and meet girls. In retrospect, it was the worst place to meet girls. Ok, enough reminiscing about the 'good' ol' days. [photo from http://../]

Kofi's Hat writes an honest, down-to-earth, insightful review of Morcheeba's new album "The Antidote". I'd agree with Kofi's Hat that Morcheeba's Godfrey brothers were particulary non-chalant about discussing original vocalist Skye Edwards' contribution to the group, attributing her as more of a hired hand than anything else. It was sort of a harsh response considering how long she had been with the group. In the end, I found I wasn't as devoted to Skye's vocals as much as I originally thought after I heard new vocalist Daisy Martey's vocals on a couple of tracks off the new album. I think Daisy's vocals were just a tad livelier in tone, than the perpetually smooth vocals of Skye. I think Skye has a decent voice, but her delivery's a litte one-dimensional. (That said, I still think the Skye-sung album "Big Calm" is a fantastic record.) I don't get that with Daisy. In any case, Kofi's Hat informs that Daisy's no longer with the group and the Morcheeba boys have another vocalist currently on tour with them. I'll have to put my trust in the boys' decisions. I just hope the tour comes Toronto eventually.

U2 are alright but I don't count myself to be a big fan of their music. However, I definitely want to catch their appearance on Late Night With Conan O'Brien tomorrow night when they will be Conan's guests for a full hour. They are expected to perform three songs. If anything, I just want to count how many times Bono will say 'fuck' in an hour. [via chartattack]

D'ya got 4 GB's of hard drive space right now? I wish had that right now. Us Kids Know Torrents have a torrent(registration required) of a video collection of various Arcade Fire videos from various venues, TV Shows, concerts, and clips.

Psst. I have a secret I'd like to share. Rotate This is selling the new Broken Social Scene album a week ahead of the new October 11th release date. I bought mine today. At least that dampened the pain of the recently cancelled Architecture In Helsinki show in Toronto, for which I returned my ticket today to Rotate This for a refund.

No comments:

Post a Comment