Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Memories of TIFF 2007

Memories of the Toronto International Film Festival. This year was my first time attending. I only ended up checking out three films(I tried for several more but they were sold out), but I found the whole experience really invigorating, from tearing through the TIFF guide, schedules, and website for what movies to see, to lining up for tickets, to speaking to people in line about what movies they were going to see, and just the general buzz around town during the week about which celebrities I might catch a glimpse of downtown. In general, I could give a crap about celebrities, but who could resist the opportunity to see Jessica Alba or maybe Monica Bellucci in the flesh(alas, I didn't see one celebrity). My friend and I even ventured downtown to the "Blood Brothers" Gala Screening at Roy Thomson Hall last Wednesday chance to see if Hong Kong starlet Shu Qi might be there, but ended up missing the whole friggin' red carpet event. Oh, well there's always next year.

The first film of the festival for me was Asian action film "Flash Point" which my friend and I caught the midnight screening of last Thursday. In general, it was a decent film mostly worthwhile for the imaginative mixed martial arts fight sequences capably brought to life by star Donnie Yen and directed by Wilson Yip. Director Wilson Yip(with an interpreter) was gracious enough to stick around after the screening for a Q & A. On a side note, I must say that "Midnight Madness" audiences are the best, and the "Arrr!"'s from various audience members which rung through the theatre when the anti-piracy message was projected on to the screen totally cracked me up.

I took in a noon screening last Friday of the Bob Dylan 'biopic'(and I use this term loosely), the Todd Haynes-directed "I'm Not There". Preceding the screening, director Todd Haynes took some questions from the audience and gave us some insight about the film. Exploring the psyche of Bob Dylan at different stages of his life using different actors(including Cate Blanchett, Christian Bale, Heath Ledger and Richard Gere), the film is not a biopic in the traditional sense. There are cultural, historical, even biblical references in the roles of the different actors that draw parallels to Dylan's psyche at various stages of his life. The film is sort of like an abstract painting - you watch it hard enough, and you're bound to come to your own conclusions. Cate Blanchett, in particular, does a wonderful job in her role. If and when you end up seeing, keep an eye out for the segment featuring My Morning Jacket's Jim James and Calexico in a beautiful musical performance.

It's unfortunate that my TIFF experience had to end on a downer. My friend and I caught the Saturday night screening of "Blood Brothers" over at the Cumberland. It's an asian gangster film which I believe was set in the 1920's. My first inclination was to say it was alright, but I have to be honest, it was cliched and overly melodramatic, although it started out on a promising plot note(which unfortunately was not developed adequately). If Martin Scorcese sets the bar(for well-done gangster films), Blood Brothers barely gets off the ground.

So that's it from TIFF 2007. I hope to do it all again next year.

ps. The movie shoot on Yonge St which started yesterday for the new "The Incredible Hulk" film nicely coincides with the conclusion of TIFF, don't you think? Anyone catch the Apollo Theatre sign, yellow taxi cabs, and trash cans/garbage bags(ie. set dressings) on Yonge St. near Gerrard? So really, the final Hulk showdown is taking place in Harlem?

Video: "Flash Point" (trailer)
Video: "I'm Not There" (trailer)
Video: "Blood Brothers" (trailer)

Director Wilson Yip at Flash Point Screening @ Ryerson Theatre: photo by Michael Ligon

Director Todd Haynes at I'm Not There Screening @ Ryerson Theatre: photo by Michael Ligon

Apollo Theatre sign on Yonge St. for the

No comments:

Post a Comment