Friday, September 23, 2005

The (Next) Arcade Fire?

My Latest NovelBrooklyvegan ponders who will be the next Arcade Fire. Seems everyone has their own opinion. I haven't given it much thought really, although several bands from overseas spring to mind:

  • My Latest Novel - A band that I could see picking up some steam are a band I just discoverd YESTERDAY as a matter of fact. They are called My Latest Novel and are from Scotland. It seems Scotland has been on a roll lately with bands like Franz Ferdinand and Sons and Daughters to name a couple. The band'll be performing a live session for BBC 6 Music's Gideon Coe program today(September 23rd). After checking out some of their mp3's, I am duly impressed. First of all, the Belle and Sebastian influence is very obvious but the band's also drawing comparisons to Tindersticks and late-period Velvet Underground. Lovely stuff. I shall explore them further.


  • Bearsuit - I remember Largehearted Boy named their album "Cat Spectacular" one of his favourite albums of 2004. I've heard some mp3's of theirs and they remind me of a more hectic version of Belle and Sebastian. I can definitely get into that.


  • The Magic Numbers - I've been reading The Magic Numbers name in the music press alot. I had my first taste of their music yesterday, finally. Check out their video for their song "Love Me Like You". I love the female background vocals. They are coming to Toronto for a show at Lee's Palace on December 1st; tickets, $13.50, went onsale yesterday at Ticketmaster. I'm thinking Rotate This and Soundscapes should get their ticket allotment by the weekend.

  • :
    :
    Watch the video for the Great Lake Swimmers' "To Leave It Behind". The site also has music videos for Nathan Lawr, Martin Tielli, Wax Mannequin, and Jack Breakfast. [via Stillepost]

    Here's a torrent(registration required) of the Sigur Ros show at Massey Hall in Toronto which took place this past Monday September 19, 2005.

    According to The Fall website, it's looking likely that the earliest the band'll make it over to the US(and I'm assuming Canada as well) will be early 2006. Their new booking agent is Inland Empire Touring. Check out the band's webpage for complete tour dates.

    According to eye, psych-pop Brooklyn-ites The Essex Green are the openers for the Shout Out Louds show at The Mod Club in Toronto on November 7th.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment