Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Talk To Me From A Detached Mind

City FieldEver since I saw them in December 2004, it's been a rare occurence that City Field have performed live in and or around Toronto. It's a shame because I was quite taken with their music immediately. Their music has hints of new wave, guitar-pop, and glam but above all it's fun with a capital 'F'. Of course, how could it not be when it features The Super Friendz' Matt Murphy. As I'd read in the past, City Field is hardly an ego-driven side project. Most of the songs on their debut EP "Authentic City", released independently in late 2004, don't even feature Matt on lead vocals and the EP is very much a band effort with various members taking control of lead vocals. I bought the EP when I saw them in December 2004 at Bovine Sex Club and I'd asked Matt, somewhat nervously, when they might release an album. I'm pretty sure I got the impression that it might be sometime in 2005. Oh, well that year came and went. Their MySpace site does indicate that the band's recently been recording their debut album which they've entitled "Digital Perm" so I'm hoping it'll be released by the summer. What actually set me off on this City Field post was that Rotate This' most recent concert list indicates that City Field will be at The Drake Hotel on May 4th, unfortunate for me, since I'm already going to go see The Concretes at Horseshoe Tavern the same night. It's good news though, that according to their MySpace site, they'll be playing during NXNE on June 8th at a venue TBA. Yay!

In the meantime, the band points out on their MySpace site a couple of YouTube links which you can watch the band performing a couple of songs live, at North End Pub in Halifax, Nova Scotia on March 17, 2006 and at The Grawood in Halifax on March 15, 2006 respectively. Watch them perform "The Pretenders"(my favourite!) and "New Shape". You can also listen to some songs at their MySpace site or at their site at New Music Canada.

Currently, you can download an mp3 of City Field's song "Pigeon Quest" at their MySpace site.
:
:
BlogTO reports back on the Regina Spektor show at The Mod Club yesterday which was apparently amazing, and that I unfortunately couldn't make.

Pimps of Gore has a nice primer post, including some mp3's, on Built To Spill's album "Perfect from Now & Then". He also has several bonus BTS mp3's!

Indieinterviews interviews Voxtrot lead vocalist Ramesh Srivastava who also graciously provides a nice solo acoustic version of Blondie's "Shayla". [via Largehearted Boy]

The 2006 Toronto Downtown Jazz Festival lineup has just been announced. Check out the
Feature Concerts as well as the rest of the lineup(unfortunately this link is not working at the time of this posting). I'm hardly a jazz enthusiast, solely based on my unfamiliarity with the genre, and I tend to be more excited by the participants who aren't actually jazz artists. Case in point: De La Soul will be at Harbourfront as part of the festival - it is a paid concert mind you, but it's De La Soul and they're the ones I'd most want to see. Unfortunately I don't have the show date since the link I mentioned above isn't working right now. Patience kiddies.

Mike Doughty will be at Lee's Palace on June 9th[via Emerge].

No comments:

Post a Comment