Saturday, September 16, 2006

Green Light

Beyonce @ Yonge-Dundas Square

So it was all for the Grand Opening of the new Best Buy store at Bay St and Dundas St in Toronto, but a free show is a free show, and Beyonce with her ALL-FEMALE band performed a great one down at Yonge-Dundas Square yesterday evening. Great weather, great vibe, and surprisingly wonderful show[even if we were packed in like sardines]. The audience sung 'Happy Birthday'(at the prompting of ET Canada Host Cheryl Hickey) in honour of Beyonce's birthday a week before as well as the release of her new album "B'day". She performed a bunch of her own hits(eg. 'Baby Boy', 'Crazy In Love'), a medley of Destiny's Child songs(including 'Say My Name' and others) and a few songs off "B'Day"(including a spectacular rockin' performance of 'Green Light'). I was disappointed that only one of the several Jumbotrons in the area were showing the live performance, and from my vantage point I couldn't see the Jumbotron so I was left to my own devices to catch occassional glimpses of Beyonce on stage. And my God, is she even more beautiful in person.

Yes, Beyonce's music is one the few really mainstream artists' music that I do respect. I think I wrote off Destiny's Child originally but I have come to realize that they weren't half bad. A couple of summer's ago, I was at Harbourfront and there were some hip-hop dancers dancing along to Beyonce's 'Crazy In Love' and it was that moment I realized how funky that song was. When Beyonce closed the show with that song yesterday evening, it was amazing(I just wish that Jay Z was in the house to lend his rap vocals to the performance.)

No comments:

Post a Comment