Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Sam The Record Man

Sam The Record Man - downtown TorontoMaybe you have to be of a certain age to appreciate it, but I think the news of the flagship Sam The Record Man store closing down is a sad one. It was one of a select few destinations I'd always make time for when I was in my teen years in the late 80's, on those infrequent occasions I'd travel from the suburbs and venture downtown. I became much more acquainted with it in the 90's during and after my university years, and now I work in an office right down the street from it. I don't necessarily shop at Sam's exclusively - I purchase a few things here and there, and I try at least to hit it on New Release Tuesdays. I long ago accepted the chain's decline, especially when the chain Sam The Record Man's all closed for business. The news of the flagship store's now eminent closure is a shock but at this point I'm willing to accept it. If it can't compete well what can you do. Really, at this point there's no use in contemplating what strategies Sams could have followed to operate more competitively. If the store has to close, I'd like to at least see the Sam The Record Man sign remain as a Toronto landmark. With the monstrosity of a shopping complex that's presently under construction down the street from Sam The Record Man, I'd at least like to see the Sam The Record Man sign remain as a reminder of simpler times when it's blinking lights were the main attraction for bored suburban youth.

Gage the reaction over at Stille Post.

1 comment:

  1. I went to that place when I visited Toronto in 1994. It was a truly amazing place.

    ReplyDelete