Monday, December 29, 2008

Favourite Albums of 2008

I didn't actually purchase nor listen to many albums released in 2008 so making a 'best-of' list seemed a little silly. However, everyone's done it so I thought I'd throw my fave albums of the year list out there for everybody to gawk at. It seems that I was listening to more older music than current this year - I can't count the number of times that I'd listened(on my iPod or Zune) to Love Is All's "Nine Times That Same Song", Echo and The Bunnymen's "Ocean Rain", Morrissey's "Your Arsenal", Jesus and Mary Chain's "Psychocandy" and "Darklands". When I wasn't listening to this music, I was probably scooping up the recent New Order and Pavement reissues, or JAMC boxset. Though nostalgia's partially to blame for my lack of attention towards 2008-released albums, I'm also trying to hold myself back (as well as save a few dollars) from accumulating more music than I really know what to do with [I'm in the midst of a purge of CD's that for the moment have gone in to purgatory storage]. What follows are those albums released in 2008 which bore repeat listens for me:

Goldfrapp - Seventh TreeGoldfrapp - Seventh Tree (Mute)

MySpace: Goldfrapp
Video: Goldfrapp - "Happiness" (music video)
Video: Goldfrapp - "A&E" (music video)




Grand ArchivesGrand Archives - Grand Archives (Sub Pop)

MySpace: Grand Archives
Video: Grand Archives - "Torn Blue Foam Couch" (live on Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson)




Sons and Daughters - This GiftSons and Daughters - This Gift (Domino)

MySpace: Sons and Daughters
Video: Sons and Daughters - "Gilt Complex" (music video)
Video: Sons and Daughters - "Darling" (music video)
Video: Sons and Daughters - "This Gift" (music video)




Portishead - ThirdPortishead - Third (Mercury)

MySpace: Portishead
Video: Portishead - "Machine Gun" (music video)
Video: Portishead - "The Rip" (live on Later with Jools Holland - April 18, 2008)




Crystal Stilts - Alight of NightCrystal Stilts - Alight of Night (Slumberland)

MySpace: Crystal Stilts
Video: Crystal Stilts - "Prismatic Room" (music video)




Vivian GirlsVivian Girls - Vivian Girls (In The Red)

MySpace: Vivian Girls
Video: Vivian Girls - "Tell The World" (music video)




Fleet FoxesFleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes (Sub Pop)

MySpace: Fleet Foxes
Video: Fleet Foxes - "White Winter Hymnal" (music video)
Video: Fleet Foxes - "White Winter Hymnal" (live on Later with Jools Holland)
Video: Fleet Foxes - "English House" (live on Late Night With Conan O'Brien)




The Last Shadow Puppets - The Age of the UnderstatementThe Last Shadow Puppets - The Age Of The Understatement (Domino)

MySpace: The Last Shadow Puppets
Video: The Last Shadow Puppets - "Standing Next To Me" (music video)
Video: The Last Shadow Puppets - "The Age Of The Understatement" (music video)
Video: The Last Shadow Puppets - "My Mistakes Were Made For You" (music video)
Video: The Last Shadow Puppets - "Meeting Place" (live acoustic @ Avatar Studios, New York City - March 4, 2008)




The Coast - ExpatriateThe Coast - Expatriate (Aporia)

MySpace: The Coast
Video: The Coast - "Killing Off Our Friends" (live on MTV Live)
Video: The Coast - "No Secret Why" (live on MTV Live)




Cadence Weapon - Afterparty BabiesCadence Weapon - Afterparty Babies (ANTI-)

MySpace: Cadence Weapon
Video: Cadence Weapon - "Real Estate" (music video)




Lightspeed Champion - Falling Off The Lavender BridgeLightspeed Champion - Falling Off The Lavender Bridge (Domino)

MySpace: Lightspeed Champion
Video: Lightspeed Champion - "Midnight Surprise" (music video)
Video: Lightspeed Champion - "Everyone I Know Is Listening To Crunk (music video)




Love Is All - A Hundred Things Keep Me Up At NightLove Is All - A Hundred Things Keep Me Up At Night (What's Your Rupture?)

MySpace: Love Is All
Video: Love Is All - "Wishing Well" (music video)
Video: Love Is All - "Wishing Well" (live on HandHeld Shows, Majorstua Subwaystation, Oslo 2008)



Albums I wish I spent more time with:

Bloc Party - "Intimacy"
British Sea Power - "Do You Like Rock Music?"
Jenny Lewis - "Acid Tongue"
Stereolab - "Chemical Chords"
Beck - "Modern Guilt" (ok, I just bought this on Boxing Day)

Albums I bought (and haven't even opened):

Sigur Ros - "Meo Suo I Eyrum Vio Spilum End"
The Hold Steady - "Stay Positive"
Wolf Parade - "At Mount Zoomer"

No comments:

Post a Comment