Sunday, June 19, 2011

NXNE Picks (Sunday June 19, 2011)

If I had to encompass the last four days of NXNE, it'd be "phew!" and on one level I actually didn't hit the festival as hard as previous years. Part of it has to do with the 'Murtaugh' factor (ie. Roger Murtaugh, a character in the Lethal Weapon films whose famous catchphrase is "I’m getting’ too old for this shit") which had been hilariously played up in an episode of "How I Met Your Mother". A few nights ago I was waiting for the TTC Blue Line bus with Murtaugh's famous catchphrase running through my mind. But I digress. It's been a great festival and it seems to be getting better and better every year. However, it's not just yet over as NXNE concludes officially tonight with a free hip hop show down at Yonge Dundas Square. Check out my NXNE picks for today below including details tonight's hip-hop NXNE closing festivities show down at Yonge Dundas Square:

3:00 pm - 6:00 pm - Static Zine Launch Party @ Sky Blue Sky & Christie Pitts

Static Zine is a new Toronto arts and lifestyle zine started by fellow Toronto blogger Jessic Lewis of Roundletters along with Melody Lamb and Aviva Cohen of The Singing Lamb. The zine which has already apparently run out of it's original printing had been given out by the girls through various locations in Toronto including NXNE headquarters at the Hyatt Regency. To celebrate the zine's launch, they're having a day of intimate performances first at a Wilco-themed sandwich shop in Toronto called Sky Blue Sky [which I've yet to visit but I heard is great], then strolling down Bloor St. towards Christie Pits where the last few bands conclude things. It's technically not a NXNE-affiliated event but the first issue of the zine was billed as the NXNE issue, so there. And as you read this, it's still not to late to catch the bands that'll be playing the launch party. The bands and set times are as follows (I realize that I'm posting this late and I apologize):

3:00 Kat Burns at Sky Blue Sky
3:30 Lowell Sostomi (of Great Bloomers) at Sky Blue Sky
4:15 walk down Bloor with The Ruby Spirit
5:00 Bravestation at Christie Pits
5:30 Sister at Christie Pits

Video: Kat Burns - In Studio(National Post) session
Video: Great Bloomers - "The Young Ones Slept" (music video)
Video: The Ruby Spirit - "Tin Can Bees" (Wood & Wires Session)
Video: Bravestation - "White Wolves" (music video)

Unfortunately, I will not be able to make it(sorry girls) because of Father's Day plans so I wish them all success.

7:00 pm - 11:00 pm - The Pharcyde, Digable Planets, D-Sisive @ Yonge Dundas Square

Canadian rapper opens things up early down at the Square at 7 pm with 90's hip hop legends Digable Planets and The Pharcyde continuing the party at 8 pm and 9 pm respectively. As hip hop goes I'm no where a connoisseur of the genre and I only have relatively small amount of it in my music collection, but 90's hip hop was in my opinion my favourite decade for the genre thus far. Argue that as you may listen to The Pharcyde's debut full-length Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde or Digable Planets' second album Blowout Comb and then tell me if I'm wrong.

Video: D-Sisive - "Wonderful World" (music video)
Video: Digable Planets - "9th Wonder (Blackitolism)" (music video)
Video: The Pharcyde - "Passin' Me By" (music video)

11:00 pm - Wild Nothing @ Garrison

The NYC indie pop group played a good set at Lee's Palace yesterday and were one of my picks for yesterday. Here's another chance to see them live.

Video: Wild Nothing - "Chinatown" (live @ Holocene, Portland Oregon, March 01 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment