Monday, August 18, 2008

Stay Positive

My Radiohead experience this past Friday went something like this - Day off from work; the plan was to go down later that night to try pick up a scalped ticket for the show at Molson Amp. I accepted that I might not be successful with getting a ticket. Started to feel physically ill (my anticipated disappointment manifesting itself physically?) though it might have been the chili chicken I had for lunch. Took a nap, took a Tylenol and was feeling better. Loaded up my Zune mp3 player (which I've been meaning to post about over the last while - it is snazzy!) with four Radiohead albums ("The Bends", "OK Computer", "Kid A", "In Rainbows"). Headed down to the Molson Amp though realizing I left late and by the time I got near the venue it was almost 10 pm. Thought I was in luck with a young punky looking couple trying to sell a ticket - it looked like a real ticket but there was some funny marking on the back of it and decided that I didn't want to be ripped off and told them no thanks. No other scalpers in sight equals admitting defeat. Oh, well I tried. I can only take comfort in that I've at least seen Radiohead live once and that was at Coachella in 2004. Funny how I can go across the continent to see them but seeing them here at home has eluded me the last several times Radiohead's come through town. On that note, here are other concert announcments I'm sure we'll have a much easier time getting tickets for:

Hip hop group The Beatnuts are at The Opera House on August 29. Info here.

Noah and The Whale are at Horseshoe Tavern on September 23. Considering it'll be a Tuesday night, it's most likely part of the no-cover Nu Music Nite series.

Beck with openers MGMT will be at Sound Academy on October 5, tickets $50.

As to the accuracy of the following I'm not sure, but Flowerbooking indicates that Angela Desveaux will be opening for The New Year at Lee's Palace on October 15.

Via rootmeansquare, Asobi Seksu will be at the Horseshoe on October 20, tickets $10 while Sharon Jones(and I'm assuming her band The Dap Kings) will be at Kool Haus on October 29, tickets $21.50.

Great Lake Swimmers will be at Lee's Palace on October 25. [via Pollstar]

Dungen returns to Toronto for a show at Horseshoe Tavern on October 31.

Fucked Up will be at Sneaky Dee's for a 3-night stint from October 30 to November 1.

Feist and Hayden are are Massey Hall on November 1, tickets $39.50 - CA $49.50, onsale to the public as of 10 am today.

Perhaps this goes against my better judgement to post this but someone over at Stille Post mentions a November 11 Toronto date for The Hold Steady and Drive By Truckers and that we can look for an official announcement today. We'll see. Update: Date confirmed at Drive By Truckers' website. DBT and THS will be alternating headlining spots during the fall tour. Thanks to Chromewaves for pointing this out at Stille Post.

At this point it seems like a slap in the face but Fleet Foxes annouced some fall North American tour dates but didn't include Toronto which you'd assumed they'd have done in order to make up for cancelling their last show back in July (when they were to open for Stephen Malkmus and The Jicks at the Phoenix).

No comments:

Post a Comment