Friday, June 15, 2012

NXNE Picks (June 15, 2012)

Widowspeak
  Widowspeak (via)

One day of NXNE down for me and tonight for all intensive purposes may be my last official night of the festival - I'm going to the Radiohead show on Saturday night so NXNE festivities that day are pretty much a washout, although I may try to catch a late-night NXNE set or two, and Sunday night is Father's Day and I will most likely have some plans that day with family but I may perhaps check out the Ghostface Killah / Raekwon show at Yonge Dundas Square later that night. That said here's my picks for today where you might find me (or where you should be):

2-10 pm ----- NXNEXPERIMENT II - billed as the ultimate daytime party of the summer, it'll take place at 214 August Avenue in Kensington Market in some back alley, but with the festival buzz of acts like The Men, Doldrums and Mac Demarco as part of this bill, this one's sure to be busy. It's $10 at the door. Check the link for complete details.

7:30 pm & 8:30 pm ----- With not much else I really want to be doing around this time, I may just hang around Yonge Dundas Square and soak up the sounds of synth-y Arts & Crafts indie supergroup Eight and A Half and jammy rock trio Plants and Animals. Of course, there's the free schwag, ice cream samples, and Monster energy drinks to take advantage of down there too.

9 pm ----- So far the only act I've chosen for this time slot is dark-pop London duo 2:54. Does their video for their song "Scarlet" tempt you? Whether I make it for this all depends if I stick around for Plants and Animals at Yonge Dundas Square or come up with a totally different option.

10 pm ----- As I've already caught Hooded Fang's set at the Horseshoe yesterday, I'll be skipping their set at the Silver Dollar tonight. In brief, I'll say they've progressed from their sunny, pop leanings, towards an almost punkier direction. I like it. My only other choice for this time slot is Oxford, Mississippi heavy guitar / drums duo Bass Drum Of Death [which may be the best band name I've heard in a long time] who'll be rocking out down at Wrongbar. Oh, God that would mean a commute clear across town. I may need to find another option.

11 pm ----- I think the electro-RnB of Brooklyn outfit, Friends, who are playing Lee's Palace should be fun. Other options include the garage-goth outfit The Black Belles who'll be playing their second and final set of the festival at the Horseshoe Tavern.

Midnight ----- I've not heard a lick of their music but breaking news reveals that Yamantaka // Sonic Titan have been shortlisted for this year's Polaris Music Prize. Which I would imagine make getting into their set at The Garrison tonight near impossible. The joined forces of Andre Williams and The Sadies looks tempting but I'd imagined that be hard to get into as well. Bleached who'll be playing the second of their 3-night sting at the Silver Dollar may be where I end up or perhaps it'll be The Men at Wrongbar.

1 am ----- The hazey pop of New York Band Widowspeak was something I'd enjoyed when I caught them at the CMJ Music Marathon last year. They'll be playing The Garrison tonight and it would be nice to revisit them. My other option currently on the table is a forgotten but were never gone 90's act called Smoking Popes who are best known for their 1995 song "Need You Around". Yes this is a purely nostalgic option.

No comments:

Post a Comment