Tuesday, April 06, 2004

The 90's: Don't Call It A Comeback

  • By now not breaking news, but Pitchfork reports that the Pixies have announced some more North American tour dates including a stop over in my neck of the woods at Arrow Hall in Toronto's west end on November 24, 2004. Woohoo!....I can only imagine that this one'll sell out in record time(just like The White Stripes, Radiohead, and a shitload of other concerts I've missed). ...ps. first caught wind of the news at Chromewaves


  • It's two nights after the Junos but I just had to comment that I'm really glad Sam Roberts won at the Junos this year...kudos also for him mentioning in one of his acceptance speeches, bands like Broken Social Scene, The Dears, and The Constantines!


  • Sub Pop gets a nod in today's Toronto Star as they mention from its initial successes with Nirvana and other grunge bands, the label is experiencing recent successes with such non-Seattle bands such as Postal Service, The Shins, and Hot Hot Heat.


  • Yahoo! News posted a Reuters article on April 5 that Matt Sharp(of The Rentals and ex-weezer) has released a country album. An mp3 of his song 'Just Like Movie Stars' which is from the new album is available at the official web site[check news item dated 2004-03-23 under title "NEW MP3 AND SHOW"]. You can also download a couple of video files of Matt Sharp And Rivers Cuomo performing live at Cal State Fullerton on 12-02-2004. ...Almost brings a tear to my eye to see them perform together again...so when's the official Weezer 'reunion'?


  • The New Music had a special episode dedicated to Kurt Cobain yesterday. (I missed the show but I'm sure they'll repeat it.) In the meantime, check out The New Music web site which includes some video segments which did not make it into the show. Well all day yesterday I was listening to my Nirvana CD's[MTV unplugged, In Utero, and Nevermind] and I listened to them in reverse order from most recent to the their debut. Honestly, I have not listened to my Nirvana CD's in ages, and yesterday, listening to those CD's was just my way of paying my respects. To hear Kurt's vocals on 'Where Did You Sleep Last Night'[off of MTV unplugged] as the end of the song reaches a crescendo was thrilling. I also forgot how much of a 'fuck you' to the record label that 'In Utero' was; it had its share of melodic songs but it had quite a few 'thrashers' that probably had DGC shitting in its pants at the time. I'm still more partial to the melodic songs off of 'In Utereo' but I also quite like the song 'Very Ape'. And finally, 'Nevermind' is and will always be a classic 'pop' album

    ps. The New Music host George Stroumboulopoulos wants to know your favourite Nirvana song so email him at muchmail@muchmusic.com.

    In the meantime, here are my favourite Nirvana songs as of yesterday's marathon listening session: Lithium, On A Plane, Serve The Servant, All Apologies, Heart Shaped Box, Polly, Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle, In Bloom, Very Ape.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment