Sunday, April 04, 2004

Ten Years After...

  • Yahoo! News: Ten years after death, legendary Cobain lives in memory -> Tomorrow will be the 10 year anniversary of the death of Kurt Cobain. I was 22 years old then. The 'where-were-you-when-this-happened' syndrome will always hold true for me for certain events: the 9-11 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Centre, and the death of Kurt Cobain. I'm not the biggest Nirvana fan. I never even attended a memorial at the time of his death. But I recognized the fact that alot of my generation at the time were very sad of Kurt's passing and that sadness was instilled in me. As a music fan, I appreciate that, in the 90's, Nirvana brought a new generation of 'alternative' music to the mainstream. Bands such as The Cure, The Smiths, and Depeche Mode were the heavy-hitters in the 80's, but as popular as those bands were [at least amongst its loyal fans], they hardly made a dent on mainstream radio. Nirvana really changed all that in the 90's. Nirvana, as well as Sonic Youth, were signed to DGC[a major label] and brought alternative youth culture to a mainstream audience. 10 years later people are still questioning whether Kurt's death was suicide or murder. I prefer to leave the past in the past. Remember Kurt, remember Nirvana, remember the music. Pull out your old Nirvana CD's, listen to your favourite Nirvana song, and remember happy times.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment