Wednesday, August 09, 2023

The 1975 - About You


So I've come to accept, for awhile now, that new music no longer appeals to me as it did with my younger self, my appreciation of listening to music and developing my tastes coming of age in the eighties as a pre-teen and then teen, and even as music ruled my life through my twenties into my early forties. I started my blog in 2007 when I was 36 years old and ran it for approximately 10 years, and yeah it was like my second youth, going to countless shows and even reaping the benefits of this blog and getting free / discounted passes, photo privileges and or promo cd's. But then I stopped blogging to focus on other life priorities. However, I hadn't relegated myself to nostalgia listening to eighties and nineties music on repeat either. I'm less inclined now to explore 'indie' music, but and now more drawn to explore the mainstream, seeking to find those diamonds in the rough. Five albums in, UK band The 1975 released their latest LP "Being Funny In A Foreign Language" late last year, having released a string of singles, including their gorgeous track "About You" has been on repeat for me. I first discovered the track at the beginning of 2023 when Amazon Prime released a clip on YouTube of the band performing the song at Madison Square Gardens on November 7, 2022,.

Unabashedly romantic, nostalgic, and melodic, but sombre, its swirling, atmospheric mix of violin, synth and saxophone, is interesting and lead vocalist Matt Healey's swoonful vocals make this song deliriously inviting. Two thirds of the way into the song, when the dreamy vocals of guitarist Adam Hann’s wife Carly Holt kick in for her own verse, it is icing on the cake.

The song's account of a relationship between two people that are no longer together, but apparently could be under different circumstances, beckons the question, why are they apart? Aside from that unanswered question, the sadness of it still remains. A gorgeous song, but full of heartache.

The 1975 – "About You" (Official Music Video)


The 1975 – "About You" (Live from Madison Square Garden)


The 1975 | Official Website
Purchase: The 1975 - "Being Funny In A Foreign Language"

No comments:

Post a Comment