Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Take What You Take

Brooklyn Vegan reports back on Lily Allen's live American debut at New York City's Hiro Ballroom. While her set in New York City was a brief one(like the Toronto show I went to), according to Billboard she had in tow a three-piece horn section which was something she had't had at her Toronto show this past Sunday. Billboard has her setlist from the NYC show which was the same one as the Toronto show(which you can see here(courtesy of Just Keep Bloggin')).

Watch the new music video for Broken Social Scene's "Major Label Debut"(Fast Version). [via Pitchfork] I bet if my sound card were working right now, I'd be enjoying this video a lot more.

Metronews sheds light on why some Canadian artists have permitted the use of their music in television advertisements. In particular, they spoke to Feist and Chantal Kreviazuk.

Through some random web surfing I came across a curiosity - British Sea Power's MySpace site lists them performing at a show at Sala Rossa in Montreal on November 13 but lists no other Canadian dates. I can't fathom that they'd come over to Canada for that one date unless they have plans to play other North American dates. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

While I'm not a fan of Alexisonfire(although I do appreciate them on a certain level), they have what is likely the coolest 4-night stint EVER coming up in December in Toronto. However instead of playing one venue, they'll be playing 4 venues over 4 nights: The Reverb(Dec 14), Phoenix(Dec 15), The Opera House(Dec 16) and Kool Haus(Dec 17). I haven't looked into the details of each show(eg. whether they're headling all shows) but regardless, I'd like to see more bands do this sort of multi-night stint. [via House of Blues]

When I read an update on Neko Case's website recently that her 2003 appearance on Austin City Limits was going to be released DVD on October 10th, I just assumed that would include a Canadian release. Apparently, it won't be released in Canada until October 31, 2006, according to Amazon.ca. In the meantime, watch a video clip from the DVD[via Seattlest]

I had a chance to read BlogTO's review of last Friday's Massive Attack show at The Carlu in Toronto. I've been bailing out of going to a lot of shows lately, either because I haven't felt like going or in the case of Massive Attack, the hefty price tag(which if I recall correct was around $56.00 a ticket) just didn't seem justified. But a comment over at BlogTo points to YouTube video of them performing "Teardrop" at The Carlu, and then I start to think - maybe I should have bought a ticket.

And btw, Jericho(CBS) and The Nine(ABC) are seriously the best new dramas on television right now. Unless a prime Wednesday night concert comes along, you'll know what I'll be doing on Wednesday nights for the next several months.

No comments:

Post a Comment