Monday, June 02, 2008

Parks and Rec

In my last post I mentioned that the planned shows for NXNE that are suppose to take place in various parks/street locations around the city weren't listed(except for a few shows) in the NXNE schedule. However, over the last few days I see that has changed. Actually, one of those sets took place near my work today over at the College Park Parkette with local Jennifer Foster playing a set. I was too busy munching on my delicious $2.99 hamburger at the nearby Richtree patio to listen to Jenn's set, but yes, outdoor sets like this are really a great idea. The Yonge-Dundas Square NXNE lineups for the end of this week(Thursday, Friday & Saturday) will likely draw big crowds, but there are variety of other alternative venues around the city that'll be hosting some live sets too.(My pick is UK's This Is Radio Freedom who'll be playing a half hour set at Metro Square [King & John Sts.] on June 12 at noon - their song "Bombthreat", streaming over at their MySpace, is a bristling, anthemic Brit-rock tune.) Peruse the NXNE schedule and see what interests you. (I'm slowly putting together my schedule for NXNE. Any recommendations? I'm mostly interested in club hopping and checking out the lesser known acts.)

In other news, Chromewaves points out that The Watson Twins come back to Toronto for a quite an affordable(and sure to be enjoyable) evening at Lee's Palace on July 15, with opener Tim Fite. Tickets only $10. The gals debut full-length "Fire Songs" will be released June 14.

The Mexican Elvis, El Vez stops in at Horseshoe Tavern for a show on August 9[via The Windish Agency].

Handsome Furs return to Toronto for a show at Lee's Palace on August 22, with openers The Witchies[via Inland Empire Touring].

Eric's Trip at The Mod Club tomorrow night? Hmmm, I'm still pondering about going. I always liked them but I never really listened to them much. But I just finished listening to their album "Forever Again" and it reminded me how much I loved their song "My Chest Is Empty". It breaks my heart every time I listen to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment