Friday, November 12, 2004

The clanking of crystal, explosions off in the distance


  • Death Cab For Cutie hit the big time!Death Cab for Cutie have hit the big time and signed with major label, Atlantic Records! Depending on your perspective, the exclamation mark at the end of that last sentence is entirely optional. I'm pretty happy for the band. I've been getting into the band over the last year or so and still haven't purchased any of their CD's because they're so expensive. I guess being on an indie sometimes means paying high prices for CD's because the label somehow has to break even with regards to the costs of manufacturing, distribution and promotion. My biggest concern actually is that the band's music is so damn good and they definitely should be compensated accordingly. I've never been an indie snob and I'm hoping everything works out well for the guys on the major label for years to come. [photo credit: Andrew Shapter]


  • Some concert announcements:
    -> controller.controller in Hamilton @ The Casbah on December 18 [from 20hz]...please note, this info has not been updated on the band's website yet.
    -> Matt Pond PA in Hamilton at The Casbah, December 6th [from 20hz]...so why aren't they playing the Toronto Ted Leo date in December? A shame because they have some nice tunes[check out the song samples at their site].
    -> The Killers at Kool Haus in Toronto on December 1, part of the Edge Electric Xmas series
    -> Fishbone at Lee's Palace on December 2...it's been too long, and I've never seen 'em live

  • Zero 7 is running a contest for budding remixers to remix their song "Warm Sound". The winner will be awarded a vinyl release through Atlantic Records, and also receive 25 vinyl copies of their remix. Download the vocal parts at the band's official web site. [from The Beat Surrender]


  • The Who will release a new album or originals hopefully next spring. Guys, please do no let us down. [from Billboard]


  • "As for the Pixies, the band is currently being followed around by a camera crew for an eventual DVD release. Black hints a possible summer 2005 street date for the set, documenting the reunion tour, as well as backstage interaction between band members." [from Billboard]


  • There's an article on The Secret and their current Canadian tour over at chartattack.


  • Well, I'm glad I picked up Jill Scott's "Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds, Vol. 2" as part of HMV's '2 for $25' CD sale. [BTW, that sale's pretty good and I've purchased a bunch of good CD's over the last several months's although I still wish they'd add more titles more often.] My first choice was Paul Weller's "Studio 150", which for some strange reason was only available at the sale price at the Yonge and Eglinton HMV location. I wanted to take advantage of the sale and the only other CD's that caught my attention were the Jill Scott CD[which I already had sampled at a listening booth at Futureshop one afternoon] and the Dogs Die In Hot Cars CD whose name I kept hearing about but who I hadn't had a chance to sample until today on the 'net...let's just say I think I made the right choice by getting the Jill Scott CD[listen to "Golden"]...Dogs Die In Hot Cars didn't do anything for me, unfortunately....they aren't bad, but compared to Franz Ferdinand and The Futureheads, well...I still think I'd want to go see them live, but Ticketmaster says their upcoming show in Toronto @ Lee's Palace is cancelled...I was at Rotate This yesterday picking up a couple of Pixies tickets[finally] and overheard a dude ask one of the staff if tickets for the Dogs Die In Hot Cars show were on sale but the staff person at Rotate This didn't have any info about the show at all.

  • No comments:

    Post a Comment