Monday, May 16, 2005

Can She Play Guitar

BellaBella's album "Pretty Mess" is spotlighted over at Soul Shine Magazine. Reading the review prompted me to search the 'net for some info, bringing me to the band's MySpace site. Actually, I remember reading about the band months ago on the Exclaim! message board. After listening to some of the samples on their MySpace site, I'm hooked. Soul Shine Magazine describes their album as "Indie Dance". I heard bits of New Order(listen to "Crystal Tears"), Ladytron, and straight-ahead indiepop. You can stream some songs over at their official site. The band'll be playing a couple of live dates soon in Canada including May 22nd in Vancouver, then June 9th in Toronto at The Drake(as part of NXNE). The band's MySpace site indicates that they call San Francisco and Vancouver home. A little bit of Technorati searching also came up with this blog. Really nice to see that a member of the band's parents are really proud of her! [photo from http://www.bellamusic.org]

I'm still thinking of going to the Monade(side project of Stereolab's Laetitia Sadier) show tonight at Lee's Palace. I've just been listening to a live session Monade did on May 13, 2005 for MPR's 89.3 The Current. It's like Stereolab but with guitars at the forefront.

Speaking of live sessions at MPR's 89.3 The Current, there were recent sessions with Mercury Rev(May 12/05) and The Raveonettes(May 10/05). Rilo Kiley and Thievery Corporation are the guests today and upcoming sessions include Ida(June 2nd), The Dears(June 3rd) and Ted Leo/Pharmacists(June 14th).

Caught the info on Muchmusic yesterday that they'll be broadcasting on June 5th, highlights from the recent Coldplay show at the Kool Haus in Toronto. Y'know the show which sold out in one minute.(damn scalpers and industry people) They showed some clips on MuchNews yesterday and damn, if that wasn't the fullest Kool Haus I've seen ever.

Download[mp3] Rilo Kiley's Coachella 2005 performance. [link from Largehearted Boy]. I'll be seeing 'em this this Thursday May 19th in Toronto at The Opera House. The band will also be at the Edge studios at 6:30pm that same night for an interview(and we can only hope a live session). I might go to that as well.

Frank Black will be the guest tomorrow on BBC 6 Music's Gideon Coe Program. Sessions start around the 20:40:00 mark(about 8:40 London, England time or about 2:40 Eastern Standard Time). Sessions usually archived in the future.

I realized yesterday that last week was the first time I think I've ever posted consecutively for 7 days straight. I make no promises for this week especially considering all the shows I'll be going to...Monade tonight(possibly), British Sea Power(tomorrow), Snow Patrol/Athlete(Wednesday), Rilo Kiley/Nada Surf/The Brunettes(Thursday), Decemberists(Saturday)...Hey, Friday's still empty. I'm not working that day so I'll definitely be catching on some valuable sleep. If I fill Friday with a show(maybe Kasabian?), 6 concerts in 6 nights will definitely be a record for me. Let's just hope my weary bones can take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment