Thursday, May 19, 2005

Open Season

concert review: British Sea Power w/ The Most Serene Republic @ Lee's Palace(Toronto, Ontario), May 17, 2005

British Sea Power at Lee's Palace: photo by Mike LigonHonestly, my initial motivation for going to this show was based on the information that Feist would open the show. After all, she was the opener for British Sea Power's US tour dates and all the websites(Tag Team Media, Interscope, even Feist's website at one point) said that she was scheduled to be at Lee's Palace on May 17th. Apparently, there was misinformation somewhere down the line. In other words, all hogwash. The openers ended up being The Most Serene Republic. I saw them open up for Monade(also at Lee's Palace) the day before and where the first show was sparsely attended during their opening set, this night's show was bristling with energy with friends and well-wishers. The extra enthusiasm level amongst the crowd made out for a more enjoyable set than the previous night. I believe they closed their set with the same song that they closed the previous night. That was actually the only song I DIDN'T like; not quite melodic as their other tunes and it generally dragged on longer than I wanted it to. Otherwise, they played pretty much the same set from what I recognized. That white-boy human beatbox intro on one number was actually quite interesting in the way the song built up. At the moment, I think they're more a sum of their influences than innovative artists in their own right, but hey they're young. And they're probably the coolest thing to come out of Milton, ON since, well, ever.

After having seeing British Sea Power live, I regret having not discovered them sooner. What a total blast they are live, not to mention the heartfelt music. I actually bought their recent cd "Open Season" several weeks ago and haven't even had a chance to unwrap it. Basically I went into their live show as an unbiased music fan. There was alot of nifty melodies, punchy rock instrumentation, hints of Echo and The Bunnymen, and to put it simply it was Brit-pop with an edge. The band alternated between pretty pop tunes and more dramatic, almost prog-rock numbers. All the while, the stage and mic stands were decorated with bits of tree branches, this bringing of nature indoors having a somewhat calming effect, in my opinion. Oh and it just looked cool. Things towards the end of their set got a little frenzied, what with their guitarist getting a little crazy jumping up on speakers, hanging off electrical cords in the ceiling and then, blindly I might add(with a coat wrapped around his head), stage diving into the audience. The lead singer followed suit soonafter stage diving into the audience, and as his body was traversed from the front to the back of the floor area then back to the stage, he pretended to be swimming. It was just a totally wonderful set. I look forward to seeing them live again.

I still have to go through my photos, but I hope to update this post with a link to the photos by tomorrow or this weekend.
:
:
Anyone wanna bet that sensitive boy River goes totally gaga for Tegan and Sara when the duo opens for Weezer on their upcoming UK/Irish tour?

That's all folks. Gotta go. My hour at this web cafe internet terminal's almost up and I'm going to check out Rilo Kiley at the Edge studios down the street(I'm also going to their show at The Opera House tonight). Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment