Sunday, May 01, 2005

Exciting New Direction

Trashcan SinatrasTrashcan Sinatras
The New Deal
The New Deal


So after the thrilling The Wedding Present and Arcade Fire shows I went to last week, I ended the week going to see The Trashcan Sinatras @ Lee's Palace on Thursday(April 28th, 2005) and The New Deal @ The Casbah in Hamilton, ON on Friday(April 29, 2005).

After The Trashcan Sinatras came back to Toronto last September 2004 after an 11 year absence, I was happy that the band was returning for another gig so soon. Maybe all the cool kids were hanging out at the last-of-3-nights Arcade Fire gig, but I'd estimate that The Trashcan Sinatras show was even less attended than their show back in September(which wasn't sold out by the way). C'mon Toronto, show some respect. Anyways, it's hard to put my finger on it, but the gig was kinda average. The band didn't play 'hits' like "Obscurity Knocks" or "Bloodrush" mind you. I was happy that they played upbeat-sounding numbers like "All The Dark Horses" and "It's A Miracle" as well as the lush-sounding "Weightlifting". As usual, vocalist Francis Reader's singing was smooth as ever. Unfortunately, the band didn't have merch available as they apparently had some problems at Customs. Dagnabit. Good show but I guess anything after Wednesday's Arcade Fire show'll pale in comparison. [photos]

I made a last minute decision to check out The New Deal show at The Casbah in Hamilton, ON this past Friday. The band'll be playing in Toronto at The Mod Club on June 3rd but I just couldn't wait. I've seen The New Deal live twice, once at Nathan Phillips Square during the Toronto Jazz Festival and once at The Opera House, and this time it was interesting to catch the band in a small venue. I was right up at the front of the stage for the first of their two sets. The first set was sort of a warmup for the night consisting of playful keyboard melodies, and beat-driven sound exercises, and a little less house-influenced than I was hoping for. The band took an intermission then came back for a second set for which they really cut loose. One song flowed into another for a good hour or so of intense, live, hip-hop/house jams. The crowd and I really(and I mean really) got into it. Shit, I dare you to try to not dance; you will fail miserably. At one point, the band segued into a version of New Order's "Blue Monday" and the crowd went wild. So, so, good. You can always count on The New Deal to put on a great show. [photos]

No comments:

Post a Comment