Wednesday, August 31, 2005

The College Dropout

U of T Varsity logoSo it's that time of the year again. Frosh week has begun so expect alot of bright-eyed first year students to infiltrate downtown Toronto streets. Coincidentally, I almost got hit by a dude running down Yonge St. this morning, who I believe was taking part in a scavenger hunt. They're sort of annoying but on the other hand maybe it's just a sense of nostalgia I'm feeling. My advice: Enjoy those years. Reality'll set in when you graduate, or drop out, whichever comes first. (For the record, I am of the former.) I came across the following campus frosh events that I'm thinking of checking out, the U of T and York U events in particular:

  • Sept 7, 8:30 pm
    Cuff the Duke,
    @ Ryerson, Ram in the Rye Patio - info


  • Sept 9, 1:30 - 5:30 pm
    Metric, K'naan, Chiva, and Funkadesi
    @ Olympic Island - info


  • Sept 9, 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
    Sloan, controller.controller
    @ University of Toronto, back campus (free show) - info


  • Sept 14, 3:30 pm - 11:30 pm
    controller.controller, K-os, and others
    @ York University (free show) - info

    Update: controller.controller isn't listed as part the Yorkfest lineup anymore although the schedule currently shows the 8:45 pm timeslot as TBA.


  • Thanks to suckingalemon for pointing me towards the U of T and York U events info.
    :
    :
    A post over at Stillepost speaks of a free outdoor concert in support of locked out CBC employees which'll take place tomorrow at CBC Courtyard at 250 Front Street West (weather permitting). It'll feature performances by K'naan, Masia One, Dana Edmonds, Belladonna, Isis, Lindy, Maracatu Nunca Antes, Jon-Rae plus more local talent and DJs. It gets going around 1:30 pm and ends around 7:30 pm. I think I might stick around downtown after work to check this out.

    Again, a post over at Stillepost(oh, what would I do without 'em) pointed me towards this compilation released by the blue house which is an artist-run online shop. The compilation features new tracks from Jim Guthrie, Final Fantasy, and Snailhouse amongst others.

    Here's a torrent(registration required) of a live show of Ted Leo/Pharmacists @ Valentine's, Albany NY, July 19, 2004.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment