Sunday, December 21, 2003

Christmas kicks into high gear

- 4 more shopping days(including today) till Christmas!

- I'm working on a Christmas mix CD with some really cool versions of Christmas songs! I'll post the final track listing when I finish it.

- So while I should have been x'mas shopping yesterday, I scored some interesting finds at the flea market:

1) The Virgin Encyclopedia of Indie and New Wave - I bought this book for $12 CDN. I know this book is currently out of print so I was really glad to find it. It briefly gives an overview of indie and alternative bands dating back to I believe the late 70's. I find the entries a bit brief compared to the superior Trouser Press Record Guide and The Trouser Press Record Guide to '90s Rock. However the V.E.I.N.W does contain entries for artists that the Trouser Press guides don't have.

2) Found a vinyl copy of The Searchers “Loves Melody”. I don't know much about them other than they being a band from the sixties. I first discovered the band after purchasing the CD D.I.Y.: Starry Eyes: UK Pop, Vol. 2, a collection of UK new wave-pop hits from the late 70's, early 80's. The Searchers “Loves Melody” was released by Sire Records in the early 80's, and the band had hoped to draw a more new wave audience(rather than get stuck on the oldies circuit). The band even covers Big Star's "September Gurls"!

No comments:

Post a Comment