Thursday, June 16, 2011

NXNE Picks (Thursday June 16, 2011)

Again, here I am with my 11th hour picks for tonight for NXNE. I didn't hit NXNE hard yesterday but what I lacked in quantity I made up for in quality with decent sets from Baltimore indie outfit Lower Dens over at the Garrison and Austin, Texas' rock trio Ume at the Drake Underground. But, alas I had to work today. Responsibility, people. Booked off work tomorrow, so my tentative plans are to go out past midnight. Here are my picks for tonight, where you will most likely find me, most time slots except for 7 pm, indicating other alternate choices worth your time:

7 PM - Snowblink @ The Music Gallery

A local act I haven't gotten around to checking out, but they've been getting some buzz from the local press and having opened for some big names recently like Wilco's Jeff Tweedy. They've generally been tagged as indie-folk although the sample below reminded me a bit of Feist. Take what you will from this.

Video: Snowblink - "Ambergris" (music video)

8 PM - The Lying Cheats @ Comfort Zone

The band's description in the NXNE guide describes them as a husband and wife team influenced by the Jesus and Mary Chain. The sampled below doesn't sound like JAMC but maybe I shall give them a chance.

Video: The Lying Cheats live at the Silver Dollar (April 28, 2011)

Also worth your time: Ruth Minnikin @ Dakota Tavern, Evening Hymns @ The Music Gallery, Rusty @ Yonge-Dundas Square

9 PM - OFF! @ Yonge-Dundas Square

Punk supergroup made up of Keith Morris (Circle Jerks, Black Flag) with Steven McDonald (Redd Kross), Dmitri Coats (Burning Brides) and Mario Rubalcaba (Earthless, Rocket from the Crypt, Hot Snakes). With a lineage like this, they must be the best band in the world, right?

Also worth your time: The Luyas @ Horseshoe Tavern, Brian Borcherdt @ 918 Bathurst, Forest City Lovers @ The Music Gallery

10 PM - Washington @ Lee's Palace

What I've heard of this Aussie female falls squarely in the realm of what may be considered radio-friendly pop music but it possesses enough edge that I'm not embarrassed to admit I like it.

Video: Washington - "Rich Kids" (music video)

Also worth your time: The Two Koreas @ Velvet Underground

11 PM - Kevin Seconds @ Lee's Palace

Mr. Seconds was the vocalist of seminal Reno, Nevada punk rockers 7 Seconds formed back in the early 80's but he's playing it troubadour style these days with gritty acoustic guitar accompanied singer-songwriter material.

Video: Kevin Seconds - "Boy Leader" (from 'My Secret YouTube Videos' Series)

Also worth your time: PS I Love You @ Horseshoe Tavern

12 AM - Evan Dando / Juliana Hatfield - @ Lee's Palace

Mr. Dando and Miss Hatfield were both 90's hero's of mine fulfilling my sweet tooth for pop melodies while adding grit with grungy, fuzzy guitars which was fashionable back then - alterna-pop if one might categorize it. While my tastes have broadened since then, I've always held a special place in my heart for alterna-pop. Let's hope I get into this set.

Video: The Lemonheads - "It's A Shame About Ray" (music video)
Video: Juliana Hatfield Three - "My Sister" (music video)

Also worth your time: Ty Segall @ Garrison, Tomboyfriend @ El Mocambo (Upstairs)

1 AM - No Joy @ Horseshoe Tavern

Montreal female shoegaze duo. I saw them at CMJ last year and were impressed. Their debut full-lenth Ghost Blonde is out through Brooklyn indie label Mexican Summer.

Video: No Joy - "Hawaii" (music video)

Also worth your time: Bruce Peninsula @ Rivoli

2 AM - Special Guest @ El Mocambo (Main Floor)

No clues to who this will be, but I will be checking the Twitter feeds, you can count on it. Well, except if I run out of steam before that and call it the night.

Also worth your time: Light Fires @ Wrongbar

No comments:

Post a Comment