Tuesday, February 03, 2004

"Wake me up"


  • A friend of mine at work lent me her Evanescence CD 'Fallen'. The vocalist has a a beautiful ethereal voice. I'm not a big fan of today's mainstream alternative music but some bands such as Evanescence, Linkin Park, Billy Talent etc...have caught my attention on occasion with their singles. I'm sorry to say, but nothing on Evanescence's CD 'Fallen' tops their singles 'Going Under', 'Bring Me To Life', and 'My Immortal'. Some of the other songs on the CD have a more prominent 'goth' feel, and I've never really been a fan of that music. The piano balladry of 'My Immortal' is beautiful and gives me chills. 'Going Under' and 'Bring Me To Life'(especially with that rap break) are tough melodic hard rock songs. I'll give the CD a few more listens before I really make up my mind.


  • I picked up the new issue of Exclaim! today. Of note is the advertisment advertising the Exclaim! 12th Anniversary Cross-Canada Concert Series. So far the west coast dates will be featuring Broken Social Scene, The Stills, and Raising the Fawn. The east coast dates(including Toronto) will be featuring so far Tortoise, and Four Tet. I'm sure these are all interesting bands on one level or another(I'd especially like to see Broken Social Scene but they're not playing in Toronto), but so far I'm not really excited about this year's series.


  • News on the music front! : dotmusic: Pixies reunited...It can only be a matter of time before The Pixies tour North America! (well, let's hope)


  • DVD news: Oscar nominee/Golden Globe winner Lost In Translation is out on DVD today. For a DVD that is fairly bare-bones(ie. lack of special features), the DVD is fairly expensive: the cheapest I saw it was for $26.99 at Futureshop. I like the movie alot but I'll like it even better on sale.


  • MP3's: a shitload of mp3's for download at this Modest Mouse web site [click on sounds]


  • While I was at Futureshop today, they were playing House of Pain's 'Jump Around' which is a really wicked song. DJ Muggs is the man! Click here for the mp3 to the song.


    • Also check out the DJ Muggs site for the latest news on his Mash-Up Radio show(check out some samples on the main page). The site mentions that he worked on the new Cypress Hill album which is to come out in March!


No comments:

Post a Comment