Saturday, March 26, 2005

We've Got To Meet

concert review: The Organ w/ Sailboats Are White, Deviance @ The Underground(Hamilton, Ontario), March 25, 2005

The Organ in Hamilton: photo by Mike Ligon

I missed The Organ when they played in Toronto last week. I've already bought a ticket for the Exclaim! show in Toronto which the gals will be playing later in April, but that seemed like a long time to wait. I had an itch which needed to be scratch so I decided to go check out The Organ in Hamilton yesterday evening. Having been at home all day with it being Good Friday and mostly everything closed, I was glad to get out of the house. I wasn't particulary interested in checking out the openers since I hadn't heard them so I drove off to Hamilton around quarter after 10 pm, getting there in little over half an hour. Unfortunately, I still got to Hamilton earlier than I wanted and I got to The Underground when the first band Deviance was still playing. I bought my ticket but decided to scoot out after hearing a couple of bars of Deviance's tunes. I didn't really give 'em a chance I guess, but I was way too impatient to wait for their set to end. After a little while, I got back to The Underground and caught the last couple of tunes from Sailboats are White. They had a disco punk sound that was interesting although harsher sounding than I was hoping for which prevented me from really liking it. Sometimes less is more, and uh, y'know what I mean.

Members of The Organ began setting up their gear while vocalist Katie Sketch minded the merch table. I sauntered on over checked out some of the merch, said hello to Katie and asked her about the show they played in Toronto[Strut Magazine party at Church at Berkeley] last week. If I remember correctly, she said it was "strange". I bought their EP and a button while I was at the table. Damn, I wished I had asked her about them touring with The Wedding Present in the near future. She's really nice so I'd suggest saying "hi" to her(and the rest of the band) next time they roll through your town.

After a few more adjustments on stage here and there(including Katie testing the drumkit and falling off the stool), the band was ready. The band pretty much steamrolled through a majority of the songs off their CD "Grab That Gun", with nary a word to the audience other than to say "thanks". I wasn't too disappointed with the lack of stage banter. The songs were sounding fine. I'm really impressed with how melodically solid their songs are, especially on the punctuated guitar sound of "Brother" and the dreamy "Memorize The City". The sound level in the club for the instruments was adequate, but the vocals seemed a little too low in the mix for my liking. The only disappointment was that their set seemed to be over so fast, but that would have to be expected since they only have one album and one EP. They ended their set with a nice tune which was unknown to me at the time; at the merch table after their set I asked Katie and she said it was on the EP. Later on I found out the song was called "It's Time To Go". A conveniently-titled set closer if I've ever heard one. How cheeky girls. A smattering of applause convinced the girls to come up for an encore prompting Katie to ask the audience what they wanted to hear. Some dude yelled out "In A Godda Da Vida". Ha ha. The girls played one of their own tunes instead, thankfully. I'm looking forward to their show in Toronto later this April. [photos]

On March 28th, Camera Obscura will be live in session on the Air Show on BBC Radio Scotland with Guest Presenter and Scotland Football Legend Pat Nevin from 8-10pm, which if I've converted correctly is 3-6pm Eastern Standard Time. Tune in here to listen in.

An ad in the recent issue of NOW says that The New Deal will be in Toronto at The Mod Club on June 3rd. Ticket info TBA.

Good news! Amy of I Am The World Trade Center is in remission and has decided get back to touring. IATWTC will play some live dates in the U.S. during April and May. The dates in May will be with Of Montreal. I wonder if the Over The Top Fest Pre-Party on April 23rd will include IATWTC; the Over The Top Fest website has scheduled, Of Montreal, Better Than Everyone + guest. Guest? Hmmmm. We will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment