Monday, April 03, 2006

Oh Yoshimi, They Don't Believe Me

The Flaming Lips @ Coachella 2004: photo by me!Are the rumours true that The Flaming Lips will be making an appearance on MTV Canada(which broadcasts from the Masonic Temple on Yonge St. in Toronto) today? My office is on Yonge St. near College Park and I was just thinking how cool it'd be to see Mr. Coyne bouncing down the street in his infamous giant bubble. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen Wayne in the giant bubble as you can see by my photo of The Flaming Lips at Coachella 2004.

In the meantime, if you haven't already seen the following video clips, watch The Flaming Lips performing a cover of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody live at this year's SXSW as well as the band performing "The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song" live on Late Show With David Letterman on March 30, 2006.

Jam! Showbiz profiles the evolution of The Flaming Lips' sound, leading to their newest disc "At War With The Mystics" which is in stores this Tuesday April 4th. The Flaming Lips have a sold-out show at the Phoenix the same day.

Mates of State have a snazzy new website! And of course, no Toronto tour date for the forseeable future.

Mary Timony AND Jon-Rae Fletcher will be at The Music Gallery in Toronto on May 30th, and damn, I'll be out of the country at the time. [info via Stille Post]

According to Kork, Danielson will be coming to Toronto for a show on August 3rd at a venue TBA.

According to an update of The Fall's provisional US/Canada tour dates, there's now only one Canadian date for The Fall's upcoming US/Canada tour. Edmonton and Calgary tourdates have been taking off the sched. Seems a little silly now to call it a US/Canada tour when there's only one Canadian date(Vancouver on May 20th @ Richards on Richards) left.

Chartattack reports on the new Big Star tribute CD(featuring the likes of Wilco, Idlewild and Teenage Fanclub) which is in stores on May 23rd.

Ben Lee has started his own podcast. The first episode features the Melbourne singer/songwriter Jen Cloher, who is celebrating the release of her debut album, "Dead Wood Falls". Jen also performs two songs live.

Thanks to Are You Familiar? for pointing me towards One Louder's thoughtful commentary on the relationship between music blogs and promotion companies, and how the 'harmless' acceptance of free items(CD's, concert tickets', etc...) by music blogs from promotion companies isn't so harmless. So far, I haven't yet been corrupted by promotional companies...I don't nearly get as many as so of you do. Still my primary motivation is to talk about music I like, so there is always the possibility that I might mention a music act that's been brought to my attention through promos I've received in the mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment