Friday, June 10, 2005

Power Out The New Kings

The New Kings @ Queen and Bathurst St.(Toronto): photo by Mike LigonIt's been a busy couple of days with alot of shows. In the meantime, here's an Electrelane photo I took at their show at the Horseshoe Tavern on Wednesday. Stay tuned for a review/photos. Update: I decided to change the photo at left(from my original Electrelane photo) to one of The New Kings[read below].

After work yesterday, I went to Soundscapes to try to buy a Martha Wainwright ticket for the show that night (sold out there btw, so I bought a ticket for tonight's The Dears show at The Phoenix instead). After, I headed down to Rotate This and was able to buy a ticket for the Martha Wainwright show at The Mod Club. I was about to head up on the Bathurst St. bus towards College St. and then happened by a free concert by this band called The New Kings. Think garage-y, Blues Explosion-influenced rock n' roll. They were really good. Mighty fine idea, whoever thought of this. Just caught this post over at stillepost.ca. Glad I caught this even if it wasn't as spontaneous as I originally thought it was . The band was playing in the middle of Bathurst St., just south of Queen St, and the band had setup their equipment amidst the construction that was going on. This was really, really cool. I wish things like this would happen more often. Luckily, I had my camera and I got some photos which I'll post later. Update: photos here.

Liz Phair will be going on a short summer acoustic tour, which won't hit Toronto, in advance of her upcoming new album. Check Aversion or Liz Phair's website for tour dates.

With respect to my query last week about Los Angeles-based Marjorie Fair, Pitchfork reports that Capitol Records will release their debut "Self Help Serenade" on July 19th. Marjorie Fair are playing an NXNE showcase tonight in Toronto at Club O.V.'s.

I'll be going to The Dears tonight at The Phoenix and haven't decided whether I'll just head home after that or check out some NXNE shows. Although, I'm leaning against going home since I'm going to The Dears show straight from my work and I have my backpack to lug around. However, that didn't stop me yesterday from going to the Martha Wainwright show at The Mod Club AND then the Bella set at The Drake Hotel. Stay tuned for reviews/photos from those shows. ...Yeah, yeah...Electrelane...Horseshoe...photos/review to come. With the amount of shows I've been checking out, you'd wonder how I do it sometimes. Caffeine does wonders in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment