Monday, January 23, 2006

Fire Eye'd Boy

concert review: Broken Social Scene @ Kool Haus(Toronto, Ontario), January 21, 2006

Kevin Drew body surfing at Kool Haus, January 21 2006: photo by Mike LigonI have to consider myself lucky for even making it to the Broken Social Scene at the Kool Haus on Saturday night. Strangely, I picked up some sort of stomach bug after the Hard-Fi show on Friday night. Two beers drunk at that show then a late night binge of eating just didn't sit well...and well you can guess the rest. By Saturday morning I was out of commission and for pretty much most of the day(although it did give me a chance to get through "Napoleon Dynamite" finally). Fortunately(and with a little help from Advil Liquid-Gels to fight off my migraine and nausea) I mustered up enough strength to get myself down to the Kool Haus for the show. Even though I made it down to Kool Haus after doors had already opened, there was still a nasty lineup that seemed more unbearably long than usual. By the time I got in to the venue, I was just begging to buy a bottled water and curl up somewhere cozy in the back. No alcohol nor weasling my way to the front of the stage this time. Eventually I decided on a spot on the floor a little off centre of the stage and ahead of the sound guy's equipment.

It was an almost unbearable long wait before Broken Social Scene got started. As I'd overheard some people in the lineup, there wasn't any actual opener. It was Broken Social Scene, and the Saturday night show we got a whole 2 and half hours(almost 3 hours) of them. Normally I wouldn't be complaining, but in my condition I wished they'd cutoff by the end of "Lover's Spit"(about two hours into the set), which at that point felt like the end of the show anyway. However, my stomach was bothering me and I made a bee-line to the boys room, although nothing 'transpired' fortunately. Just a false alarm, but the walk-around helped because standing up for 3 hours plus wasn't necessarily making me feel any better.

So how was the actual show, you ask? The setlist was a BSS-lover's wet dream containing all the usual suspects from "You Forgot It In People" and "Broken Social Scene". Loved the horn section. Leslie Feist rocked out on "Almost Crimes" and "Shorelines". Guest violinst Julie Penner added her lovely violin arrangements and background vox. Amy Millan was sublime on "Anthems For A 17-Year Old Girl"(renamed "...15 Year Old Girl" in honour of the senseless killing of Jane Creba on Boxing Day in Toronto). We were rewarded with both the slow AND fast versions of "Major Label Debut". The rhythmic "Hotel" was nice change of pace featuring nice vocals from Lisa Lobsinger. The intensity of "Ibi Dreams of Pavement(A Better Day)" , which felt like the band reaching out to audience with every last guitar strum, drum beat, and vocal scream, gave me a lump in my throat like nothing else that night. At Mr. Drew's prompting for requests, throng of song choices rang out but my choice, "Lover's Spit" reigned supreme. I was hoping for the all-Feist vocals version but had to settle for the Kevin and Leslie version. Still, it was awesome. As I mentioned above, the show could have ended there and I would have been happy but it went on for another four songs which decided to wait out at the back of the club. At one point in Kevin Drew's usual hippie love-in banter, he asked if anyone was in love, then asked the audience to hug each other, then kiss each other. He jokingly rethought that last request because of all the parasites and bugs going around. Mr. Drew, you don't know how true that was. (But I'm feeling much better today, sort of.)
:
:
pop(all love) gives his unique perspective on Saturday's BSS show.

suckingalemon(has a photo of the setlist), Rock // Paper // Pixels, ribbon_in_hair, The CJM, and a soundtrack for everyone have photos galore from the BSS show Saturday night. Damn, seems like everyone was so much closer to the stage than I was.

More photos at lets get ourselves crunk.

Just Keep Bloggin' nicely encapsulates the show. And don't you even try standing in front of her when Feist is on stage. ;-)

chartattack reviews the show.

Any other review/photo links that I hadn't link to, sorry to everyone.

Just a reminder, Ms. Leslie Feist is on the Jimmy Kimmel Live show tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment