Thursday, January 13, 2005

Inside And Out

I'm mentally tired(or maybe just mental) so most things Zoilus have inspired this post today. I'm glad at least one of us can form some coherent thoughts, but I'll try.

FeistZoilus responds to pop(all love) with regards to Feist. If I understood Zoilus' arguement correctly, its that he thinks there's something overly self-conscious with Feist's approach to her music; that in her attempt to create something musically uniqe in the Canadian music landscape, she's chosen to play it safe. Or as Zoilus puts it "there ain't enough ballast or swagger or in general physical presence (even the presence of wispiness) to suggest that most of these songs have anywhere to go or anything to do." I can't say I agree. And I guess its all a matter of perspective. For someone such as myself, whose musical tastes(at least currently) mirror the pages of Magnet and Exclaim, ie. indie rock, buzz bands, etc..., Feist's "Let It Die", while lumped in with the indie rock scene by her association with Broken Social Scene, was a wholely non-indierock sounding album. By MY standards, it WAS adventurous, refreshing, and quite a bit out of my usual music realm. Maybe, its her association with Broken Social Scene that really made me check her out in the first place but the end has justified the means, as its been a rewarding experience thus far. [photo from http://../]

Zoilus also gives us the goods on the brilliance and upcoming album of Martha Wainwright. I'd count her(along with Paula Frazer[ex-of Tarnation]) as a vocalist who caught my attention immediately after hearing just one song. (Paula Frazier did it for me after I heard her sing on Cornershop's "Good To Be On The Road Back Home".) To hear Martha's enchanting background vocal's on her brother Rufus' "April Fools" was exhilirating. Hearing "April Fools" the first time introduced me to two great artists at the same time, and Martha's own greatness has been long overdue to the public at large. I remember reading she was doing some residencies in some dark, dank piano bars in New York City and her Toronto appearances have been infrequent(I unfortunately missed the few she did make). Tracking down her independent releases(EP's?) in Toronto has been unsuccessful. The new album will hopefully meet all my high expectations.

Isn't Emm Gryner on the cover of this week's issue of eye looking like a cross between Bjork and Feist? Bew-ti-ful! Read the cover story. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to make it to her Monday show at Top o' the Senator because I have an evening class that night. And I'd probably be too tired to go after class anyway. Although, its just down the street from Ryerson. Hmmm? Well anything's possible.

The Rotate This site's now listing ticket info for the following:

-> Shonen Knife are @ Lee's Palace on March 12th, tickets $10.50.
-> Keren Ann tickets @ Horsehoe Tavern on March 6(tickets $12.00) are now showing to be onsale as well.
-> Japan's Guitar Wolf and Kingston, ON's Cuff The Duke will be @ Lee's Palace on March 3rd. Tickets $10. I believe that this show is part of Canadian Music Week.

And yeh! to chromewaves to tipping us off that Tahiti 80 has been confirmed to play the Reverb in Toronto on March 4 during Canadian Music Week, as part of the "French Music Export Showcase", along with Sebastien Tellier, Ghinzu and Vegomatic. Admission is $10 at the door or with wristband.

No comments:

Post a Comment