Sunday, January 23, 2005

Six O'Clock News

Kathleen EdwardsWith the release of Kathleen Edward's new CD "Back To Me" on March 1st, I'm feeling disappointed in myself for not supporting her from the beginning. Although I thought the first single "Six O'Clock News" off her first CD "Failer" was a terrific slice of country rock, I never made the jump to purchasing the CD. I hope to remedy that in the near future. Today as I listened to song samples on the 'net of her first CD I realized that it combines the best elements of Sarah Harmer's folkiness with the ballsy ruggedness of early Wilco and Son Volt, with Ms. Edward's rootsy vocals carrying along subtle yet delectable melodies. The wonderful Ms. Edwards will be on Late Show With David Letterman on March 2 to promote her new CD. Before that appearance, she has several live dates including February 23 at The Casbah(Hamilton, ON), and February 25 and 26 at The Black Sheep Inn(Wakefield, QC). (thanks to 20hz for tipping me off on the Hamilton, ON live date, which I'm highly considering going to) [photo from HoustonChronicle.com]

The tracklisting for the thirteenth Comes with a Smile CD, "Every Minute A Mystery", has been finalized, and for Canadian content, includes a remixed version of The Heavy Blinkers' "Gentle Strength". The CD will be accompanying issue #18 of Comes with a Smile, which'll be the first all-colour issue. The new issue will also feature an interview with The Heavy Blinkers. The new issue should be in finer stores this week.

Through a bit of web surfing, I came across the blog, wedge-esque which has taken the task of posting the weekly The Wedge music video playlists as well as providing (some)links to streaming versions of the music videos. Awesome.

pop77's rockin' da house with a great electro-post-punk-pop-house mp3 mix, including the 'Girls Are Short Mix' of Death From Above 1979 's "Romantic Rights". [be forewarned, the file size is 107 MB]

Johnny, good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment